[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: more flexible page-sharing for farms

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 17:27:28 CDT 2005

On 8/7/05, chr at home.se <chr at home.se> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
>
> Ok. Sounds like you really want an admin mode/skin, i.e. not necessarily
> related to farm sharing then? Or am I missing something?

Some of both.  I absolutely do want admin mode, but there probably
still needs to be better sharing too.  Most of the current admin work
is with the shared pages, though, so it's getting mashed together in
practice.

> >       - I use Main.Linkdump to hold links to new pages for admin or testing
> > purposes, which really shouldn't be seen in random fields...
>
> Um... why would it be seen in random fields?  What groups are you sharing?

It seems to be sharing all groups of the default field (the one in
wikifarm/wiki.d).  Difficulties:
(1) I don't know how to change this
(2) Even if I did, I'd still want to share more than one group -- or
rather, a mixture of pages from several different groups, but probably
not *everything* from any of those groups

Anyway, Main.Linkdump in a test field contains links that were added
to it over in the shared defaults field.  Obviously I could save an
empty local version, but that's more work.  I'd like a better
default...

> > I've only enabled the code for using the wikifarm's wiki.d for default
> > pages in addition to wikilib.d.  I haven't enabled the code that, if a
> > shared page is edited from some other field, copies the edited version
> > back to the shared field.
>
> So basically you're using them sort of as a template directory then?

Yeah -- wikifarm/wiki.d is really my personal wikilib.d, one that
won't get clobbered by upgrades.

> > I'm not sure how it would change the situation for the better, and I
> > thought that I might want to have custom versions of certain pages in
> > other fields.
>
> Yeah, I've also considered that - it's a difficult choice.

I'll go on as I am for now, and if I find that I never want local
versions, then on goes the "and share the edited copy" code.

> > Neither am I; it's just one idea for how to solve the problem I've got,
> > because one of the first things I realized was that certain pages needed
> > their sharedness status controlled at a page level, not a group or
> > field/farm level.
>
> I definietly agree with you here... it does bother me that I'm moving
> pages from Site/ to Field/ - that is for several of the pages just a
> workaround for the entire Site/-group being shared.

So yes, we still probably need finer control over page-sharing...

Bronwyn