[pmwiki-users] Supporting different modes in default pmwiki

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 00:38:48 CDT 2005

On 8/7/05, gdb at soundchasers.com <gdb at soundchasers.com> wrote:
> Quoting Thomas -Balu- Walter <list+pmwiki-users at b-a-l-u.de>:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 10:30:59AM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> >> * A ''reader'' uses the wiki site to find information and he is thus
> >> * An ''author'' contributes contents to the site. He also reads pages,
> >> * An ''administrator'' ... hmm, in addition to probably being an author,
> >
> > I am not sure wether I like this kind of split. In a Wiki a reader
> > should usually also be an author. Having those handled differently will
> > surely make it more difficult to have readers write content too.
>
> It would only make it more difficult if you specify that you want to
> have users
> follow these roles.

Think of it this way: modes are sets of tools.
- To write a letter, you need pen and paper.  Most of us would also
want whiteout and a dictionary.
- To balance your checkbook, you still need a pen and paper, but now
you'd probably like to have a calculator, receipts, and bank
statement, too.  You no longer need the dictionary.
- To dispose of the big mess in your inbox, you still need pen and
paper, but now also a filing cabinet with file folders, post-it notes,
stapler, your calendar, and the paper recycling bin.

Which would you rather work on: a desk cluttered with all the tools
you could possibly need for any given task, or a desk that was clean
and empty *except* for the tools relevant to the task at hand?  The
missing tools have not been stolen -- they've just been put away in
the desk drawer.  They are available whenever you want them.

Now imagine that there are fairies whose job is to reorganize your
desk for you at your command.  Who could, in an instant, tidy away
your financial apparatus and bring out your letter-writing things.
Wouldn't that be wonderful?  I would certainly want desk fairies of my
very own.

Right now, only skin designers can rearrange the PmWiki desk.  People
tolerate this because there is (so far) no alternative.  Modes are
desk fairies for PmWiki: they clear the wiki's desk except for the
tools you need, and switch toolsets at your command.

Bronwyn