[pmwiki-users] Supporting different modes in default pmwiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Aug 8 14:08:59 CDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 10:30:59AM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> Someone might now argue that we should just let skin designers come up
> with these (sub-)skins on their own. I think however that it'd be better
> with some kind of support from the pmwiki core for these modes.

I don't know that we need core support for this, but a well-defined
set of conventions ought to work.

> Frankly, I think that the best scenario
> would be if vanilla pmwiki would contain a very basic implementation of
> different modes.

I'm afraid this might add more cognitive complexity to the basic
installation.  Roles in this sense feel a lot like categories; they
don't take a lot of special support to create and use, but conceptually
they can be a bit difficult for someone new to PmWiki to understand.

> Which of course leaves ut with the constraints on resources and the
> question if this is something to really do before pmwiki 2.0...

I think that we should continue brainstorming and exploring the idea,
but there's very little likelihood that we'll have core support for
this in 2.0.0.