simple tables... WAS Re: [pmwiki-users] bug in [@ @]?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Aug 14 09:15:54 CDT 2005

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 04:36:47PM -0400, Radu wrote:
> At 04:06 PM 8/13/2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >I didn't give up the (:markup:) directive in general -- only for this
> >particular page.  And it's not carved in stone yet.
>
> Um. So if this table layout is easier to read, could we have a
> variant of markup that generates exactly that? (:markup table:) or
> something...

I thought briefly about a (:markup table:), but in the case of
BasicEditing the contents of the two cells aren't exactly the same
and I haven't figured out a good way to denote the differences.

> And one last observation while on this topic: I was a bit taken aback
> by the order
>
> to get this ... do that
>
> Which reverses the order used in the :markup: directive (and the
> order of causality ;). But I understand if you were writing with the
> begginer Author in mind, they might look for what they want to do and
> only then at how to do it.

Yes, it's goal directed...typically a new author is asking
"How do I do X?", so having the "question" on the left and the "answer"
on the right makes sense.

> ... Of course people won't
> have to remember the codes, I'm planning a toolbar filled with all
> the table types that project will need, and all the Authors will have
> to do is click the appropriate button, then change the variable
> values at the top of the table definition.

Just a note that the toolbar doesn't help people who are _reading_
the table markup.