[pmwiki-users] Re: PmWiki.BasicEditing

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Tue Aug 16 15:21:29 CDT 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > I did a quick test on the page for lines ending in \
> >
> > Where is that needed?  I mean in general white space
> > is eaten.  Now if it pro\
> > duced
> >
> > Not if it produced
> >
> > something like that behavior... I could see the usefulness
> > .. maybe...  but as it is.. it inserts a space.
>
> Well, the original purpose of \ was to get a subsequent line to
> join to the previous one, thus
>
>     * This is a list item\
>     continued on the next line
>
> allows the list item to be split across multiple lines (for a variety
> of reasons).  It's a reasonable question as to whether it should
> insert a space or not; my original thought (almost four years ago!)
> was that the newline did generate a space.

I'd just like that say that I'd really prefer if

     * This is a list item\
     continued on the next line

did *not* produce a space. It's not uncommon for me to try and do
relatively advanced markup resulting in long lines (conditional
expressions come to my mind here). So I then naturally would like to be
able to break these lines using '\'... which fails sometimes because of
the space that I get.

Just my opinion :-)

/C