[pmwiki-users] Questions and cookbooks proposals

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Aug 21 17:21:38 CDT 2005

On Saturday, 20 August 2005 7:24 AM, PYG <pyg_listes at exiup.com> wrote:
>Hello world
>3. Maybe footnotes ability (from jr's extendedmarkup [^ ^]) and Table of
>contents (:toc:) should be added to core markups ?
>I manage about 6 wiki's on very different subjects and there was
>*always* a good reason to add them as cookbooks. It's not the time it
>takes, but maybe new users should be happy to use them witout wondering
>how to install them. I use many other custom (or jr) markups, but thoses
>  seems quite essential for me (and my authors).

I'm glad you find these useful. A comment about adding them to the core:
The wikipublisher library, which typesets page collections into printable
pdf, needs to be aware of these and other extensions, so it can do the
right thing when processing them. If they join the core, could we do this
in a way that minimises impact on dependent code?

I am happy for both to be added 'as is' to the core -- they work to
specification and are stable. They can always be improved, of course.
It may be worth considering something between 'core' and 'cookbook' --
third party recipes that are distributed with PmWiki, do not conflict
with one another, but for which PmWiki is not responsible.

These might be pre-loaded in the cookbook/ or skin/ directories,
but disabled by default.

The biggest problem I see with such an approach is that changes to
the PmWiki core may break the add-ons. It's not reasonable to expect
PmWiki to take responsibility for testing this, so we would need a
disciplined approach to distributed testing of non-core modules.

--
JR