[pmwiki-users] Kind-of Blog, a blog for PmWiki

sven saurwein saurwein at komit.at
Sat Dec 10 14:43:10 CST 2005

>>(*) put the archive calendar on the digest/singlepost page - only
>>current month (include?)
>

> This is something I would like to think about.  I'm pretty sure you
> could do it now by just including both (:blogarchive:) and
> (:blogdigest:) and changing some variables in kob.php.  But the
> problem is that it would limit you to *only* doing things that way.
>
> What I need to do is work on (:blogarchive:) so it takes the arguments
> that are set in kob.php, allowing flexiblilty.  Something like
> (:blogarchive monthsback=1 monthsforward=1:) for a three month archive
> (this month, one back, and one forward).

great idea!
cause changes to kob.php variables would mean to break the archive view
when adjusting it for the single month calendar to posting/digest pages.

BTW fiddling around with the variables in kob.php lead to nothing here,
I even asume the navigation above the archive (browsing year back/forth)
doesnt seem to work - even on ur test page. is it ur archive hack
causing this?

> I'm a big fan of simplicity, so I don't want to get much more
> complicated than that.  I think something like that would work fine
> for what you're proposing, and I'll see about getting it written.

the single month calender just is as a widely known feature to blogging
tools.

IMHO that way the "number of postings shown on the digest" is just fine,
no need to display "last 2 weeks" or something like that (as for
simplcity:-)

>>(*) different css classes/div containers for day-month-year and
>>hour-minute-timestamp
>

> Again, relatively* easy.
>
> * The thing with timestamps and the header as the permalink is that
> just about everything depends on a strict blog entry format.  RSS, the
> edit format you were talking about earlier, the digest -- they all
> need entries to have the same format.
>
> Changing the format is easy, the entries could be formatted however
> you want, as long as they are all the same.  The hard thing is coming
> up with a format that is useful for largest number of people.  Also,
> as more people start to use KOB, it becomes harder to update the
> format, because it would break everyone's blog.  They would have to
> manually update their old posts, or I would have to provide a
> conversion script, or write code to check for old entries.
>
> Another approach would be to come up with a very basic file format
> that stores individual pieces, and reformat those at a higher-level.
> But I like knowing that PM has already done all the hard work of
> handling input.

I think the straight blogging community has not hit wiki yet, and
typical wiki users - right now - dont do their blogs in their wiki
environement.

I personally believe in the wiki-weblog-combination as an alternative
way to present and structure wide spread content typically to wikis.

A friend of mine recently published his thoughts on this here:
http://www.langreiter.com/space/Snips+and+Spaces

> I'm definately thinking about what is the best way to format things:
> should the header be a permalink?  Should the timestamp be a seperate
> div from the permalink?  Should permalink come before timestamp?  Etc.

thinking it over, heres my 2 cents:
div for:
- heading/title
- timestamp
- text (to maybe differ its style from normal wiki pages)

in that order as the default layout.

> Even the date format is hard.  I like MM/DD/YYYY, but what about
> YYYY/MM/DD, or MM/DD/YY?  Lots of questions, so I'll just evade for
> now and say I'm thinking about it.  Any suggestions?

YYYY/MM/DD  for the alternative ordering with pagelist

>>(*) GUI edit buttons for the postings textarea (low priority:-)
>

> Probably very easy.  I'll see about adding an option for this.

great

thx
sven

(furthermore I once again vote for editing postings in the new entry
form :-)