[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Backups

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Tue Dec 13 15:18:06 CST 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 06:50:42PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> > Please have a look:
> >
> > 	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Backup
> >
> > It's linked from both DocumentationIndex and Upgrades now.
> >
> > Backup is a rather important piece of functionality...
>
> ...as is restore.  I think the Backup page might also need some notes
> about how to restore a site from the backup if/when the need arises.

Oh, I agree... just thought the backup procedure should stabilize some
before I brought that up :-)

> The ability of the webserver account or PHP script to create the backup
> (and have a suitable place to store it) might be a significant barrier
> here.  I guess we'd need to find a PHP library that can reliably create
> zip files.

To be honest, I was mostly thinking of invoking 'tar czvf ...' or
something... But we shouldn't forget the work involved in getting the
backup archive away from the server either. If the server is toasted,
there's no point in keeping the archive there. So an easy way to retrieve
the archiev would be nice. OTOH, all of this usually collides with not
wanting everybody to get hold of your backup....

/C