[pmwiki-users] Kind-of Blog 1.1 released

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 14 11:42:50 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:16:52AM -0500, Ryan R. Varick wrote:
> On 12/14/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > I totally agree that (:pagelist:) is the way to go for KOB if
> > at all possible.
>
> All right, well I hate to reinvent the wheel.  I looked at the
> PagelistExplained recipe.  At first glance, I don't really "get it."

No problem, it's pretty complex.  And there's a problem in that
when I first created (:pagelist:) it wasn't clear how it all should
be structured and fit together, so we've been slowly evolving
towards cleaner implementations.  Unfortunately, preserving
backwards compatibility means that we can't just throw out
the ugly pieces, but have to stage those as well.

> It seems the flexibility is in the $FPLByGroup* variables.  Is see
> that there is an array of page components (?) name $FPLByGroupOpt,
> which allows you to select on things like 'title'.
> What are these option arrays?  Where do they come from and how to I
> "register" components within them?  If I understand things correctly,
> I want to somehow tell PmWiki that the blogentry title = page title,
> and, possibly, that it should know about entry timestamps and

I need to know a little bit more about how KOB is currently
structured -- how does it keep track of entries, are there multiple
entries per PmWiki page or is each entry on its own page?  If the
former, then pagelist probably *doesn't* do what you want.  If the
latter, then pagelist is *definitely* what you want, and all of the details
about entry timestamps and permalinks are immediately available
via an FPL function or other approach.

Note that a directive can skip the FmtPageList function altogether,
and simply call MakePageList() to get a list of pages matching
various criteria and reformat the list however it wants.

> Next question:  I've looked at Sven's examples, and that seems like a
> mighty complicated directive.  Assuming I made KOB pagelist
> compatible, would it inappropriate to define (:blogdigest:) to sit
> atop (:pagelist:) and, hopefully, reduce some of its complexity?

Sure, that's perfectly allowable.