[pmwiki-users] Properties

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Wed Dec 14 11:43:10 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 10:31:01AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> So, since properties aren't always saved, we can't really have a
> markup that says "display property XYZ for page ABC" unless we're
> willing to process page ABC's markup each time, or always save all
> of its properties as something other than attributes.

  Unless we treated them as invariants per page.  Then our
lookup would not have to process the markup, but rather just
search it like an include currently does.

>  And if we
> define a markup for displaying another page's attributes, it might
> need to be visually distinct from the markup that displays the
> current page's properties.
>
> If this sounds a bit confusing -- well, it is, probably because
> we haven't hit upon the correct model yet.

  Well, I am starting to wonder the same thing, it seems
like a grand unification of ideas might be merrited. :)

  It seems hard to remember if something is a variable, a
property, a saved property or an attribute, and what are the
different behaviours of each, and do they need to be that
way?  Accessibility outside of a page (scope?), provided by
pmwiki (constants?), author alterable, searchable, available
to conditions, page invariant (constants?), ...very
confusing.  I'm not even sure how to label some of them with
traditional programers lingo?  Should I even be trying to?

  -Martin