[pmwiki-users] Kind-of Blog 1.1 released

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 14 13:55:38 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 08:47:43PM +0100, Mikael Nilsson wrote:
> ons 2005-12-14 klockan 13:28 -0600 skrev Patrick R. Michaud:
> >
> > Okay, now for a naive question, since I'm not an active blogger --
> > what's the reason behind having the blog entries named by date in
> > the first place?  Perhaps we can find another way to solve that
> > problem that doesn't require saving by date.
>
> The reason is to enable searching by date. Now that the date is in the
> blogentry markup, this is no longer a requirement.

It's also no problem to add a search-by-date option to pagelist.
We can also have (:pagelist fmt=blogdigest:) to display the pages
with date headings.

> Systems that support permalinks for posts (nicely formatted URLs that
> contain hints about the content) usually combine a reformatted title
> with either a sequence number or a date:
>
> http://blog.philkern.de/archives/96-Oh-well,-theres-darcs!.html
>
> http://www.frepa.org/wp/2005/12/13/mikael-nilssons-presentation-to-the-ieeelom-meeting-in-orlando-in-october-2005/

Oh, we can do that easily enough -- we just tell PmWiki to ignore
any information after a certain character.

> I find both acceptable. But not using either sequence nor date in the
> post name makes it unnecessarily difficult to organize your posts.

Another naive question:  Why exactly is this difficult?