[pmwiki-users] Kind-of Blog 1.1 released

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 15:06:22 CST 2005

Brilliant! I like it allot.

On 12/14/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 08:58:10PM +0100, sven saurwein wrote:
> > (4.2)
> > use the abstract yyyymmddxx uniqute url for (:pagelist:) flexibility to
> > display and sort things
>
> (:pagelist:) already has the flexibility to display and sort
> things, and can sort based on criteria other than name (e.g.,
> posting date or last modified date).  So we don't need to use
> the page name for ordering, since we can easily do it other ways.
>
> But there's another approach.... everyone repeat after me...
>

>                  "Trails are our friends!"
>

> Why worry about the names at all?  All we really want is some way of
> ordering sets of posts and accessing them in some order, and that's
> exactly what trails are for!  So, having seen the discussion and
> taken a little more time to think about it, here's my view of a blog:
>
> *  All blog entries are normal wiki pages, with normal page names.

As they should be IMO.

> *  The edit form has a "post blog article" checkbox or button, which
>    causes the current entry to be added to the beginning of a
>    "blog trail", much the same way that pages are automatically
>    added to RecentChanges pages.  (It may in fact turn out to be
>    the same code that handles both.)

That one missing piece. Excellent idea.

> *  Other posts to the page don't affect the blog trail.

I assume you mean edits?

> *  By having the pages on a blog trail, one gets RSS feeds (and
>    podcasts!) for free via .../BlogTrail?action=rss .
>
> *  The blogger always has the option of reordering articles in
>    the blog by simply editing the blog trail.  Articles in the
>    blog trail can easily belong to different WikiGroups.

Fun with archives. And entries could use categories or years as Groups
or something for additional organization. This really opens up the
possibilities.

> *  WikiTrail markup provides an easy mechanism to go from one
>    article in the blog trail to the next.

Just like the prev/next links found on many blogs. Why didn't I think of this?

> *  Since (:pagelist:) can get a list of pages from a trail,
>    one can easily display the blog in a number of different
>    formats by using (:pagelist trail=BlogTrail fmt=...:),
>    where we can use custom fmt= options for different looks,
>    and do things such as insert dates at the top of each
>    blog entry.
>
> *  For example, (:pagelist trail=BlogTrail fmt=titles count=10:)
>    could display a simple list of pages by their titles, while
>    (:pagelist trail=BlogTrail fmt=include paras=3 count=10:)
>    could display the first three paragraphs of each of the
>    10 most recent articles in the blog.  Of course, one could use
>    order=-time or order=-ctime to order the entries based
>    on the most recent update or the date of creation.

More fun with archives!!