[pmwiki-users] PmWiki for Dummies....

John McGinnis john.mcginnis at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 17:33:26 CST 2005

Observations from a newbie:

1)       The Recipe format certainly provides the necessary understanding to
get a script working. All of the providers have followed the same
documentary format which crushes the learning curve, certainly a good thing.

2)       I come from the old school programming days where invocation ->
call was the structured way of understanding code. In that regard most every
author has provided the invocation side neatly. E.g. "To use PageToc.php
merely (:toc:) ..." straightforward. But what is not nearly as clear is how
(:toc-page .) is used? Current page?, page on another Group?, etc. Most of
the authors do not address the issue of scope for the calls as clearly as I
would like. Much of the discussion on the various scripts bear that out.
(Ryan I am not picking on you! You've been a great help. Just my most recent
observation.)

3)       I find the Wiki Farms concept a powerful idea though I have not
implemented it beyond a simple test. But again I think more depth of
documentation would be useful.

4)       Finally, speed with which the base code and Cookbook entries is
being updated is impressive. But I wonder if from a comprehension point of
view maybe a Debian like release approach might be possible for folks that
may be using PmWiki in a more production like fashion? Of provide it in
sets? Or am I missing the development cycle altogether?

Please, I don't which to sound like I am raining on the parade. PmWiki is an
excellent piece of work that has features that other Wikis have not even
come close to matching. And Pm's latest suggestion for updating the KOB is
really a stroke of genius. I don't do a lot of PHP programming but I can
recognize when simplicity conquerors a lot of obstacles.

Cheers!

John McGinnis