[pmwiki-users] Kind-of Blog 1.1 released

Ryan R. Varick rvarick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 19:42:01 CST 2005

Wow, I leave my computer for a few hours and completely lose track of
my project!

With the changes Patrick has described, I think the difference between
a blog and a wiki is reduced essentially to method of organization:
wikis are contextual, with pages created as extensions of
already-existing pages.  It's rare to find an "orphaned" wiki page.
Blogs, on the other hand, are temporal.  Entries are created on a
whim, organized linearly, and generally loosely linked.  Internal
linking is rare.

Now when you talk about a blog and a wiki, (Wordpress and PmWiki), you
are generally talking about disparate "silos" of information:  your
well-connected thoughts are in the wiki, whereas your day-to-day
musings are locked up in a MySQL database.  To date, KOB has only
tried to break down this physical barrier.  Blog entries via KOB exist
within PmWiki.

But still, semantic barriers remain, notably the naming scheme.  An
author, wishing to link to an entry posted via KOB, must know not only
WHAT they want to link to, but WHEN it was created (i.e., the date).
This is a needless barrier, imposed by my lack knowledge concerning
PmWiki.

The changes Patrick suggests go beyond KOB.   They go beyond a
wiki-based blog.  By removing the naming barrier, the end result would
truly leverage the possibilities of a wiki and of a blog.  I think
it's great, and I can't wait to see it happen.  With any luck, KOB
will be obsoleted!

On that note, I'm not really sure what *I* should do right now.  I'm
new to pagelist, and I've never used trail before, so I'm reluctant to
spend days working on something that Patrick could probably do in a
few hours.  I think I'm going to wait to see how this shakes out,
unless there are some immediate needs I should work on.

Very interesting to watch this develop!

Ryan