[pmwiki-users] Spatial overlay to a wiki?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Dec 14 20:21:14 CST 2005

Has anyone come across a way to project information from wiki pages onto a map?

We will have many pages each containing a single place name [1].
Assume that we can extract (pagename, placename) pairs.
Assume that we can translate placename into latitude, longitude.

I envisage something like: "the more pages there are for a place,
the bigger its dot on the map". Places with no pages might show
as red crosses. Click on a dot and it shows you the pages for
that place. Use category markup to filter pages by subject.
Use profiles markup to filter pages by person.

I'll be using the wikiforms recipe to maintain the underlying
data.

Can anyone point me at information on such a system?

[1] I'd like to propose [[@place name]] -> [[Place/place name]]
    cf  [[~person name]]     -> [[Person/person name]] (sic)
    and [[!subject heading]] -> [[Category/subject heading]]
    noting that "Person" seems more natural than "Profiles"

--
John Rankin
Affinity Limited
john.rankin at affinity.co.nz