[pmwiki-users] nested tables/divs

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 15 07:20:42 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 12:40:29PM +0200, blues wrote:
> i can't manage to have nested tables inside divs
> or the opposite, i tried any combination of
> >>wikistyle<<, (:div:), advanced or simple tables.
> only a simple table inside a div seems to work but
> then i don't have control on the cell width.
> am i missing something or is this a limitation?

At present, divs and advanced tables do not nest.
True nested constructs generally requires explicit start
and end markers, and that's often not very author friendly.

However, I've been playing with the idea of using leading >'s
to indicate nesting levels for tables and divs.  Thus:

     (:cell:)
         Here is some text
     >(:div:)
         This is a nested div in the cell
     >>(:div:)
         This is a nested div in the div
     >>(:divend:)
         We're back in the first nested div
     (:cell:)
         We're in another cell, automatically closing the previous
         cell and its nested div.
     >(:table:)
     >(:cell:) This is a nested table
     >(:cell:) Another cell in the nested table
     (:cell:) A cell in the outer table

Of course, one could also nest using >>>style<<<, >>>>style<<<<, etc.

At this point it's just an idea, but that's my current thinking.