[pmwiki-users] heirarchical navigation

Robert Laird rlaird at cavediver.com
Thu Dec 15 10:18:14 CST 2005

Base info: Running OmniHTTPD, PHP4.4.1 and PmWiki 2.1 beta14, on
WinXP... everything works fine.
Situation: I'm very knowledgeabe with HTML, somewhat knowledgeable at
PHP, but a novice at PmWiki.  I'm trying to create a heirarchical wiki
of home inventory, by room, and trying to make it easy to "move back
and forth" through the heirarchy.

Just above the "title" on each page is a link, in smaller font... I
don't know what the official name of that is -- I'm going to call it
the aTL (above Title Link), but it's the thing that's giving me the
most problems.  The wiki seems to only ever have two layers, the aTL
and the title's page.

For example, if "Room A" has a "Closet A" and "Box A" is in the
closet, and inside Box A is a pocket watch, I'd want:

Room A
...Closet A
......Box A
.........pocket watch

The problem is, for example, if I drill down to the "pocket watch",
then the page title is "BoxA" and the aTL is "ClosetA".  So, it LOOKS
like it's heirachical, but, while I'm on that page, the BoxA page, and
I click on the aTL of "ClosetA", then I get a Page Not Found error.

I just want to be able to click on the aTL and have it go to that
page.  Then I could click on "ClosetA" and it would go up to the
"ClosetA" page, and then I could click on the "RoomA" link and go up
to the "RoomA" page.

How do I do that?

(And, yes, I can hand-fashion an "up" link on each page, or use the
"trail" stuff, but that's not the point.  The point is: why is there a
link created automatically that goes nowhere, and how do I change that
link to make it useful for navigation?)

  -- Robert