[pmwiki-users] heirarchical navigation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 15 11:48:06 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:18:14AM -0600, Robert Laird wrote:
> Base info: Running OmniHTTPD, PHP4.4.1 and PmWiki 2.1 beta14, on
> WinXP... everything works fine.
> Situation: I'm very knowledgeabe with HTML, somewhat knowledgeable at
> PHP, but a novice at PmWiki.  I'm trying to create a heirarchical wiki
> of home inventory, by room, and trying to make it easy to "move back
> and forth" through the heirarchy.

Waylan has already given the explanation, but the short answer
is that PmWiki doesn't do hierarchies -- there are just pages
and groups of pages.  See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/HierarchicalGroups .

Over PmWiki's history there have been at least three or four
intense discussions about creating hierarchical grouping structures,
but we've always been unable to crack the problem of handling
relative links in a way that doesn't confuse people.  (The
standard initial response is "it should work the same way that
urls work", but for a variety of reasons that doesn't work.)
Typically the discussion has ended with a chorus of admins and
users begging that we leave the existing group+page organization
scheme as is, which is why we have what we have.

It should also be noted that many large sites (such as Wikipedia)
are able to work just fine without a hierarchical organization of
the content.  And in PmWiki the better way to handle hierarchical
organization is often to use the TrailMenu recipe.