[pmwiki-users] Blog proposal

Ryan R. Varick rvarick at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:57:31 CST 2005

On 12/15/05, Mikael Nilsson <mini at nada.kth.se> wrote:
> I think this is probably the most important part of it all...
>
> What an newblog page needs:
>
> * Automatic generation of page name, using the title as input as well. I
> don't dates/serials #s are enough, especially since there is more
> information available.
> * Category support - the user should not need to set categories in the
> markup IMHO.
> * Checkboxes for which blogs to post to (optional).
> * More??
>
> I repeat - IMHO the newblog page needs to be idiot-proof (or nearly so),
> and all important settings need to be accessible in the GUI.
>
> /Mikael

Which is why I think page name equals page title, period.  If you
create an entry "the wiki way," by first creating a link to a page,
then clicking the new page's edit link, you get the title for free.
If you create an entry via the entry form, then the title will be used
for the pagename.

I don't think it needs to be any more complicated than that.  The only
other case is if an author wants to change an entry's title.  In that
case, I think we should defer to the way PmWiki does that now -- which
is to say it doesn't.  As far as I can tell, there's a recipe for
?action=rename, and a recipe for EditTitle.  There may be others.

By keeping it simple, I believe we gain flexibility.  Because we do
not make design assumptions that preclude other options.

Ryan