[pmwiki-users] unset password = history gone?

Russ Fink russfink at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 15 14:33:04 CST 2005

>From: "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com>
> > Hello - I observed a behavior, and wondered if this is intentional.  If
>so,
> > Very Cool!  Here is what happened.
> >
> > I had a password-protected group and a HomePage in that group with some
> > phone numbers on it.  I edited the page, erased the phone numbers,
>clicked
> > on save, and then went to the group and set the read-only password to
> > "clear."  I left the edit and attr passwords set, however.
>What version of PmWiki are you running?  If you're running something
>earlier than 2.0.11, there was a rather large bug (I don't know when
>it was introduced) that would cause the page history to be lost
>whenever any password was changed.  I'm guessing that's what happened
>here.  In later versions that doesn't happen.

In fact, it is 2.0.5.  I will upgrade it over the semester break.  I'll take
Neil's suggestion about "flash deleting" (my term for it), where you select
all, copy, erase, type the word "delete", save, reedit, and paste.  I've
been having some other problems with mimetex, maybe a new PmWiki will help
resolve that, too.

>Take a look at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ExpireDiff, which
>can be used to remove page revision history information from a page.

Yes, I recall that, too.  I'll put that in as well, keeping only a few
rounds worth of edits.