[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Blog proposal

sven saurwein saurwein at komit.at
Thu Dec 15 17:38:27 CST 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 09:53:59PM +0100, sven saurwein wrote:
>>the difference right now between normal wiki pages and blog pages is the
>>that one of them will be automaticcaaly added to a trail.
>>
>>I also respect and sure support that creating a new blog entry should be
>>as easy possible.
>>
>>but I dont see why a blog page shouldnt be given a proper pagename, as
>>any other wiki page must.
>

> Dates can be proper page names, also.  :-)  See, for example,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_15 .

... the laugh's on me...

> "Proper" versus "improper" on the web depends primarily on context.
> If I have a daily blog with exactly one article per day and the
> topic or title of each post isn't the key feature, then it makes
> sense for me to use dates as the pagenames instead of topics.

agreed,
(and a date as pagename is always better than a permalink featuring a
totally nonsense running number scheme as in blogger.com or , coming
from where I live, antville.org or  - oh my god - dave winers
www.editthispage.com = sleepless nights configuring for a new user in 2000)

>>I dont see why a wiki page marked (:blog:) couldnt someday just rest in
>>the usual wiki djungle, and it will maybe do so with an , sry, ugly
>>pagename like 2005121503.
>

> Sometimes we don't know in advance which pages are the important
> ones.  Even if we choose a title, we may decide in retrospect that
> it should've been called something else.  At any rate, we aren't
> committed to a decision; we can always rename and update the historical
> page under a new name, and leave a (:redirect:) pointer at the old
> one.

I just wanted to add my thoughts as a user of pmwiki, sure letting the
core team develop stuff I appreciate to test later.

thanks for ur answer, patrick.

and thanks to ryan(!!!), who with his KOB recipe, for me brought things
on the timetable again.

sven

------