[pmwiki-users] Re: Trails are our friends (was: pmwiki-users Digest, Vol 6, Issue 63)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Thu Dec 15 18:42:12 CST 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 01:29:52PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> > A paragraph starts at the anchor, skips a newline immediately following
> > the anchor (if any) and goes either to the next newline or to an
> > invisible stop (`. markup). For example:
> >
> > [[#teaser]]Teasers can be used to decide which paragraph is shown.
> >
> > or:
> >
> > [[#teaser]]
> > Teasers can be used to`. decide which paragraph is shown.
> >
> > The invisible stop is normally, er, invisible ('`.' -> '').
>
> Any ideas about what to do if no anchor is given?

I've been satisfied with taking the first paragraph when there's no
teaser.

> Some pages start with one or more directives that probably shouldn't be
> considered part of the "paragraph" count.  Does it make sense to exclude
> sections consisting only of directives?

I've run into to that often.. these days I simply tend to write the
"teaser" as the first line on a page and place directives later. (This is
because the teaser markup isn't enabled for e.g. pmwiki.org).

As to excluding... what if the directive is an (:include:)... although
it's not so likely that the teaser is in an included page, it is possible.

Let's go back to the goal here... what the heck was it???

Well, assuming the goal was using (:pagelist:) to generate a list of pages
with the teaser appended after the name of the page, like this:

	* <page>: <teaser>

or possibly like this:

	* <title>: <teaser>

then it's actually not much of an issue if the teaser is empty.

Maybe we should just implement something and test it so what works?

/C