[pmwiki-users] Home Pages in (:pagelist:)s

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Dec 16 13:23:48 CST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 02:14:18PM -0500, Waylan Limberg wrote:

> What if we have a default template page defined in config.php (which
> defaults to Site.ListTemplates or something)? Then if no page is
> specified, the default is used. Then we could do:
>
>      (:pagelist template=#titles :)
>      (:pagelist template=OtherPage#titles :)
>      (:pagelist template=OtherGroup.Page#titles :)
>      (:pagelist template=AnotherPage :)
>      (:pagelist template=SomeGroup.Page :)

Somehow "template=" strikes me as being wrong and too much to type,
although it is descriptive of what is happening.  But somehow I
think I'd rather hide everything under "fmt=", and give the
admin the ability to specify custom mappings.  Thus, the argument
to "fmt=" can be a pagename, a pagename+anchor, an anchor selecting
a section from Site.PageListTemplates, or any other phrase that
the admin chooses to implement as an alias (e.g., to select among
several FPL functions as it does now).

    (:pagelist fmt=#titles:)           Site.PageListTemplate#titles
    (:pagelist fmt=OtherPage#titles:)  {$Group}.OtherPage#titles
    (:pagelist fmt=AnotherPage:)       {$Group}.AnotherPage (full text)
    (:pagelist fmt=titles:)            definable by admin to be custom
                                       page or custom function

Of course, the default would be "fmt=default", which the admin
could adjust to any setting desired.  And PmWiki's default for
"fmt=default" would probably be Site.PageListTemplate#bygroup .