[pmwiki-users] Feed Variants and Enclosures

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 17 19:47:00 CST 2005

On 12/16/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 04:28:46AM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > Some questions about the capabilities of the new feeds.php script:
> >
> > What are the differences / features / (dis)advantages of the various
> > feed types?  More specifically, for a typical site does it make sense
> > to offer RSS 1.0?  RSS 2.0?  Atom?  Some combination such as RSS 2.0 +
> > Atom?
>
> I'm not an expert on any of this, but I think I would tend to stick
> with RSS 2.0 (?action=rss) and Atom (?action=atom).  I think that
> RSS 2.0 has the widest support.  I think that Atom's overall design
> is a bit cleaner than the others, but I don't know how widely it's
> supported yet.

I forgot to include the following link, which outlines the differences
between Atom and RSS from an Atom developer's point of view.  The page
has some technical comparisons, but didn't answer my real question.

http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/Rss20AndAtom10Compared

What I was wondering was which ones are likely to be in demand and
therefore should be offered.  I've done further research and FWIW
offering RSS 2.0 and Atom seems like the way to go.

This brings to mind some more questions.  (Surprised?)

Hagan