[pmwiki-users] random musings

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Mon Dec 19 12:38:42 CST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:37:47AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Some random musings and questions to see if anyone has comments,
> ideas, or suggestions...
> Hmm, I guess "fullname" isn't so bad.  Lists of wildcards will also be
> allowed
>
>     (:pagelist fullname=2005.Blog*,2006.Blog*:)
>
> as well as negations
>
>     (:pagelist fullname=-*.HomePage,-*.RecentChanges:)

  OK, this is where it gets complicated and confusing. What
does the comma mean in these two examples?  It seems like
you want it to mean UNION in the first example, but MINUS in
the second example (can you tell I've been using SQL a lot
lately)?  Or alternatlively, we could say that we are
using boolean OR to combine the conditions in the first
example and the boolean AND to combine them in the second
example (still confusing).

  I don't have any good ideas how to solve this, the best I
could come up with is using the comma as UNION and creating
another operator for MINUS, such as maybe :- This would make
the second example look like this:

 (:pagelist fullname=-*.HomePage:-*.RecentChanges:)

  ...ugly,

  -Martin