[pmwiki-users] New page issues?

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 14:46:11 CST 2005

On 12/20/05, Waylan Limberg <waylan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/05, Mark Moorcroft <mmoorcroft at mail.arc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> <snip>once some content is added to
> > the page the question mark persists depending on what item in the
> sidebar is
> > selected. It's as if you must re-enter the same same content several
> times to
> > assure it appears relative to every other sidebar link.
> >

> My guess is that when you say "depending on what item in the sidebar
> is selected." you mean when viewing different pages. I am also
> assuming that these different pages are in different groups. My guess
> is that the links you added to the sidebar did not specify a group, so
> when you are in GroupA, it looks for the page in GroupA, but when
> viewing a page in GroupB, it only looks for the page in GroupB,
> doesn't find it and tells you the page needs to be created. The
> workaround is to have all links in the sidebar include the group the
> page belongs to: GroupA.SomePage GroupB.AnotherPage etc.

This was also my guess for what you are encountering.  Here's another way of
expressing it: As a general rule, you should "qualify" any links that will -
or could - be visible to the user while the user is viewing pages in
multiple wikigroups.  These would be links in a Site Header or Site Footer
or the Site (or sometimes the Main) SideBar.

A "qualified" link includes a full name, i.e. the group name as well as the
page name.  When a link isn't qualified - when it consists of a page name
only - the wiki will always construe it to be a link to a page in the same
wikigroup as the page that you're viewing at the moment.  When the link is
located in a SideBar (one that will be visible while viewing pages of
multiple wikigroups), an unqualified link can lead to the kind of problem
that (I think) you're experiencing.

Note also (the actual reason I'm posting): sometimes the syntax
[[GroupA/Some Page]] might be better for your purposes than [[
GroupA.SomePage]].  In the former (with the slash separator instead of the
dot), the group's name won't show up on the page; the link text will only
display "Some Page", but the link will still be qualified.

Hope that helps!