[pmwiki-users] New page issues?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Dec 20 15:15:56 CST 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:31:35PM +0000, Mark Moorcroft wrote:
> I am brand new to PMWiki and so far the setup has gone pretty smoothly. I am
> having an issue with adding new pages. According to the instructions I have
> edited the sidebar to add the page. It then appears in the list with a
> question mark beside it as expected. The trouble is that once some
> content is added to the page the question mark persists depending on
> what item in the sidebar is selected. It's as if you must re-enter
> the same same content several times to assure it appears relative to
> every other sidebar link.

As others have mentioned, this appears to be an instance of an
unqualified link in the SideBar.  There are probably at least two
groups in play here -- the "Main" group where most pages are created,
and the "Site" group which contains the default SideBar.

If you create a link in Site.SideBar as [[SomePage]] (with no
group qualification), then that link will reference a different
page depending on where it's loaded.  So, if looking at Main.HomePage,
the [[SomePage]] link (in the sidebar) will go to Main.SomePage.
But if looking at Site.SideBar, the link in the sidepar will go
to Site.SomePage -- a different page.

For pages like the SideBar that may appear in multiple groups, it's
generally important to qualify the link with a group name (i.e.,
[[Main/SomePage]]).  Otherwise PmWiki assumes the link is going to
a page within the current group (which can change depending on the
page being viewed).

Hope this helps.  If it's still confusing, provide some concrete
page names that you're working with and maybe we can explain it.