[pmwiki-users] Help for Wiki newbie... Wiki copyright ?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 21 16:18:47 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 09:40:06PM +0000, Darren Wyn Rees wrote:
> I am new to administering Wikis and I do not understand the issues
> surrounding copyright.  I would like to create a few Wikis with an
> 'open copyright', eg. the GNU free documentation license.
>
> Are there any Pmwiki users using the above copyright or similar ?
> Most of the Pmwikis sites I see do not explicitly mention copyright.
>
> I would like to see examples of websites using similar 'free' or
> 'open' copyright models, and how they inform users/contributors
> about copyright.

First, I'm not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice.  For
that you should properly consult a lawyer.  However, I think that
Wikipedia ought to be a reasonably good model for open copyright.
Wikipedia has a link on each page that indicates the text is available
under the terms of the GFDL (with a link), and a link to a "Copyrights"
page that explains the policy in more details.

It might also be worthwhile to consider a note on the edit page
itself that tells authors the terms under which they make contributions
to the site.