[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Request for changing the default upload policy

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 22:51:10 CST 2005

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, H. Fox wrote:

> Or put something in sample-config.php that points to the location. This
> way you're not adding any new files in the root.

Would it be possible for us to maintain these examples online? What if we
pointed to some wiki pages instead of local files?  (With 'wget' or 'curl'
it's just as easy getting the files when you want them)

> To me, scripts/ stands out as the best choice among the three, since
> local/ should be, well, *local* files and cookbook directory structure
> is confusing enough without any non-recipe distributed files.  Stated
> another way, distribute sample config scripts in scripts/ with other
> distributed files and leave cookbook/ and local/ exclusively for
> site-specific files.

I agree... although I'd probably prefer scripts/examples/ over just
placing the examples with the rest of the scripts.

> I'm not a fan of adding another directory unless it makes things
> clearer, especially for someone installing PmWiki for the first time.
> I think adding a docs/ directory would accomplish just that.
>
> I think it's obvious that documentation would be found in the docs/
> directory, which might look something like this:
>
>  docs/
>    .htaccess
>    COPYING.txt(*)
>    INSTALL.txt(*)
>    README.txt(*)
>    cms-config.php
>    sample-config.php
>    secure-config.php

I kind of like the idea of a docs/. If we expected to add more
documentation in the future, it'd really make sense. As it is right now,
it's not a lot of files since the documention is comprised of wiki pages.

Just to look at things from another point of view... would it be possible
to *reduce* the number of documentation files that ship with pmwiki?

Could for instance 'README', 'COPYING' and 'INSTALL' be merged into one
file that simply refers to a suitable wiki page? (It'd probably have to be
one per each new release).

Could the example configurations also be placed on the wiki? Perhaps as
uploaded files? The 'README' could illustrate how an administrator using a
CLI can easily get an example file doing e.g.

	wget http://pmwiki.org/wiki/docs/sample-config.php

Just trying to think outside the box for a while
/Christian