[pmwiki-users] XMLRPC and UTF-8

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 29 12:17:54 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 06:16:09PM +0100, Tomas Pihl wrote:
> >Apparently the xmlrpc.inc script sets ISO-8859-1.
> >        $xmlrpc_internalencoding='ISO-8859-1';
> >
> >You might try changing that last variable to 'UTF-8' and see if
> >that solves things.
>
> Tried it but for "åäö" I get the characters
> "åäö" back from XMLRPC in a
> blogger.getPost. Don't know if that is what should be sent back but
> ecto isn't able to interpret it as "åäö".

Hmm, that looks to me like the xmlrpc.inc script doesn't
really know how to deal with UTF-8, as all it's done above
is take the non-ASCII bytes and convert them to (incorrect)
numeric HTML entities.

I'm not terribly familiar with the XML-RPC cookbook recipe, although
it might be worth looking into redoing the script.  A few months ago
there was (apparently) a serious vulnerability reported in the
standard PHP XML-RPC libraries, and since this recipe pre-dates
that it might be a good idea to re-examine things.

(At the time I was very glad to be able to say that PmWiki didn't
use XML-RPC and so it wasn't vulnerable. :-)