[pmwiki-users] Re: Root README.txt With a docs/ Directory

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 11:25:08 CST 2005

On 12/30/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 10:56:47AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> > Comment:
> > I hope it will be not necessary to create a docs/ directory, and
> > keep just the minimal text information in the root, as at present.
> > The main documentation exists in form of wiki pages within wikilib.d,
> > which the above does not make clear. So perhaps it can read:
> > wikilib.d/      Default wiki pages including main documentation
>
> I agree, we should make it clear that the main documentation is
> in wiki pages.

That wasn't clear to me at first. I was working on a unconnected
machine, and after spending a few weeks going back and forth between
two machines checking the docs at pmwiki.org and making adjustments, I
finally realized everything was right there. Pointing that out in a
README file would have clued me in much quicker, as that would have
been the first thing I looked at after unpacking the download. I'd
really like to see this implemented as well.

> > pub/css/ is not included in the default distribution, but needs to be
> > created later if indeed needed at all. But perhaps it can be part of
> > the default setup, even if it remains empty?
>
> Yes, I'm planning to include an empty pub/css/ as part of the
> distribution, or perhaps with a pub/css/README.txt that explains
> how to use it.
>
> > I always found it confusing to have to copy sample-config.php from the
> > root into local/, and then rename it.
>
> Oh, I don't have a problem with sample-config.php going into local/,
> but one of the reasons we've kept it at the root is so that new
> admins will notice it quickly.

This is something else I didn't get right away. For some time, I had
the config file in the root dir and wondered why the other config
files (like Group.php) were in a seperate dir. Then, one day while
looking through some of the core code (looking for some unrelated
stuff) I noticed the block of code which included the main config file
and that is checks in the local/ dir first, before the root dir. If
there are instructions to move the sample-config.php file when
renaiming it, I missed them. It would have made more sense to me it
put the sample either in the local dir, or in some dir that it would
obviosly need to be moved from (like sample/ etc.).

> > To have .txt extensions to the text files would be very welcome. For a
> > Windows user files without extensions are just too confusing.
>
> I'm going to add .txt extensions to the text files, but I want to make
> sure we know where each file ends up before I do that.  Otherwise we'll
> end up cluttering existing sites with even more files.

Just my 2 cents

--
----
Waylan Limberg