[pmwiki-users] Re: Root README.txt With a docs/ Directory

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Dec 30 13:37:53 CST 2005

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 12:25:08PM -0500, Waylan Limberg wrote:
> On 12/30/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 10:56:47AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> > > Comment:
> > > I hope it will be not necessary to create a docs/ directory, and
> > > keep just the minimal text information in the root, as at present.
> > > The main documentation exists in form of wiki pages within wikilib.d,
> > > which the above does not make clear. So perhaps it can read:
> > > wikilib.d/      Default wiki pages including main documentation
> >
> > I agree, we should make it clear that the main documentation is
> > in wiki pages.
>
> That wasn't clear to me at first. I was working on a unconnected
> machine, and after spending a few weeks going back and forth between
> two machines checking the docs at pmwiki.org and making adjustments, I
> finally realized everything was right there. Pointing that out in a
> README file would have clued me in much quicker, as that would have
> been the first thing I looked at after unpacking the download.

After thinking about this a little bit more, I'm actually a little
surprised.  As soon as the PmWiki software is installed, the first
thing that appears on Main.HomePage is:

    Here are some useful default pages installed along with the
    PmWiki software:

    * PmWiki documentation is available at PmWiki.DocumentationIndex.

So, what exactly does the README.txt file need to say about
the local availability of the documentation, and where does
it need to be said?