[pmwiki-users] Root README.txt With a docs/ Directory

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Dec 30 16:28:37 CST 2005

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 02:58:49PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> I'm imagining some easy steps to PmWiki new-installation bliss:
>
>     Unpack archive.
>     Read README.txt
>     Proceed to docs/INSTALL.txt
>     Install
>     Configure, using online docs and samples in docs/

First, let's assume that there will be a docs/ directory in
the distribution.

I'm not entirely sure why we need to force the admin through the extra
"proceed to docs/INSTALL.txt" step; unless INSTALL.txt is
fairly lengthy I think it could easily be a section of README.txt.

In place of the lines that say "for installation advice, see
docs/INSTALL.txt", just start a section with "== Installation =="
and continue on from there.  The licensing information
can then go in a "== Licensing ==" section below that.

However, if the installation instructions seem like they'll be
long, then INSTALL.txt is warranted.

In all of this, I'd also like to see a text file that describes
how to do standalone installations of PmWiki (e.g., for installation
on a local machine when a webserver isn't immediately available).

> > * One possible point of confusion with having a "docs/" directory
> >   is that a quick file perusal might seem to indicate that PmWiki
> >   doesn't come with a lot of documentation (since the bulk of the
> >   documentation is really being stored as wiki pages in wikilib.d/).
>
> If that's really a problem (I'm not yet convinced it is), there could
> be a helpful docs/DOCUMENTATION.txt file containing all of the
> pertinent details.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing -- just another pointer to the
fact that the documentation is available locally after PmWiki is
installed, as well as online.