[pmwiki-users] Re: Question about HTML output for link targets

Larry Lewis pmwiki at jenolan.org
Wed Feb 2 16:50:03 CST 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> In considering "~" I did think about the potential conflict with
> [[~xyz]],
> but I wasn't necessarily planning to allow a [[~subpage]] markup.

Beware of ~ in file names .. filename.~ext is taken as being a 'backup'
file in a lot of windoze stuff and automated cleanup programs will
delete these files automatically if told to dleete 'standard' backups.

> And even though hyphens are allowed in page names, I still haven't
> excluded just using plain hyphen ('-') here, as in "-Comments" and
> "-Draft".  Using hyphen wouldn't mean excluding it from other page
> names; it's just that page names ending in '-Comments', '-Draft', etc.
> would be "special" (without having to introduce a full "subpage"
> capability).

Hypens in names can cause problems too (sorry to be a worry wart)

The idea of subpages sounds neat but the filenaming has to take into
account the quirky nature of using special characters in file names '#'
and '@' are not used for anything so far as I can remember in filenames
.. '#' might even be logical sort of .. Main.Somepage.#Comment reckon
adding the '.' is necessary so people can do a delete Main.Somepage.*
without  worrying about name collisions.

Cheers .. Larry