[pmwiki-users] Unclear which 'restore'-link to press when restoring a page

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Thu Feb 3 15:38:52 CST 2005

At 2005-02-03  03:07 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:15:27PM +1300, Robin wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 February 2005 11:47, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > > Really we aren't restoring the differences, we're restoring the version
> > > of the page that exists between sets of changes.  Perhaps just changing
> > > the restore link text to "Undo all above edits" is all that we need.
> > I kinda like this. Another thought I had was to put the link attached to a
> > particular revision, and phrase it: "Revert to this revision"
>
>Alas, this still has the problem of knowing exactly which revision
>is being reverted to.

How about "Reverse all above edits" or "Reverse all edits above this line".

Although we could argue the semantics for a long time, I would suggest that
"revert" and "undo" suggest that the edits will be thrown away, with no way
to recover them, whereas "reverse" suggests (to me) that we are keeping
track of the reversals.

In English (I can't speak for other languages - that's for the translators
to hash out) the generally accepted meanings are:

revert -  To return to a former condition
undo -  To reverse or erase
reverse -  To turn around to the opposite direction

If you are still with me at this point, I am proposing that reverse
indicates "turning around" each of the edits. For example, "abcd" was
replaced with "efgh" becomes "efgh" was replaced with "abcd".

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668