[pmwiki-users] Re: draft/Subpageish stuff (was: Re: Question about HTML output for link targets)

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Sat Feb 5 09:05:27 CST 2005

----snipped----

>So my question is : is there a simple way to indicate the state of a Wiki
>page (Todo, work in progress, validation, ok, etc...) ?
>(I tried without success to adapt the PITS system, but it was too heavy to
>manipulate for my users).
>
>I just hoped that, as for drafts or comments, it belong to the same idea :
>add some informations *linked to* a page, but not necessary *into* the page.
>This system/cookbook should be very usefull for anybody that want to
>produce/mark a "definitive" version of a page (like in documentations,
>tutorials, translastions, etc.)
>So, as you're in brainstorming stage for Group.Page,Draft or
>Group.Page,Comments   maybe we could think of Group.Page,Revision (or
>Group.Page,Status) ?
>
>Cheers
>pyg

Pyg

First of all, it doesn't look like you are having any difficulty following
this discussion in English, your questions are quite appropriate.

I think that items such as revision levels or status should be treated as
page attributes. Currently, the only attributes used for pages are
passwords. But it makes perfect sense to me that a page attribute (revision
level) could be "just started", "draft", "under revision", or "complete". I
am sure that admins will want to use their own terms for these states, and
they may want more or fewer levels. The big question for me is "how does an
author set this attribute?", and the only answer that comes to mind is that
there would be radio buttons on the edit form that would allow the author
to select the revision level.

As for comments, I see two types: in-line comments placed within the body
of the page (like your example or JR's PostIt Note (TM) recipe) and
"trailing" comments that appear at the end of a page. I can see a use for
both. If a page is considered complete, then the trailing comments seem
best. If the page is being revised, then the in-line comments are easiest
to follow. Neither of these are really "page attributes" (they are more
like sub-pages) so I would expect them to be handled quite differently.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668