[pmwiki-users] Request for ideas -- edit page improvements

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 7 13:52:14 CST 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 06:52:21PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> the following change to the authentication form function seems to work,
> but it does not make you feel better? It just adds a redefinition to
> $HTMLBodyFmt:
>
>   $HTMLBodyFmt = "</head>\n<body onLoad= 'self.focus(); document.authform.authpw.focus()'>";
>   SDV($SessionAuthFmt,array(&$HTMLStartFmt,
>       <form name='authform' action='{$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']}' method='post'>
>         Password: <input tabindex='1' type='password' name='authpw' value='' />
>         <input type='submit' value='OK' /></form>", &$HTMLEndFmt));

It won't work when we move the authentication form into the skin template
(which doesn't use $HTMLBodyFmt).

> > The best I've come up with is to add a $BodyOnLoad variable that
> > the authform and other functions can modify, but even so it seems like
> > there ought to be a better solution than this.
> If the solution above is not good enough I don't see how an addition
> of a $BodyOnLoad variable can be avoided. How else could the onLoad code
> be added to the body tag?

I think my point is that there ought to be a way in HTML/CSS to get
the cursor into a form box without having to muck with the <body> tag
at all.  But if there's not and it's really important to fix, I'll see
about coming up with a workaround.  However, the workaround will ultimately
require skins to redefine their <body> tags in order for it to work.