[pmwiki-users] Re: Unclear which 'restore'-link to press when restoring a page

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Mon Feb 7 14:59:04 CST 2005

At 2005-02-07  02:37 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>I'm not in favor of having the "restore" capability be called "edit",
>because that's not the operation an author/editor is looking for.
>Typically they're looking for some term such as "undo", "recover",
>or "restore" that explicitly indicates they're going back to a previous
>version of the page.

Despite my earlier misgivings about it, I would favor "undo" as the verb
because it makes the rest of the phrase less ambiguous, as in:

         Undo all edits above this line

The problem with "restore" and "recover" is that they implicitly are
referring to the text below the line. That is, the author is attempting to
recover or restore the original page as it existed beneath the line, prior
to the edits above the line. This leads to awkward phrases such as:

         Restore page as it was prior to above edits
         Restore page without above edits
         Recover page without above edits

But I still think "reverse" is the best choice, as in:

         Reverse all edits above this line.

I does not have the same sense of "throwing away" the edits that "undo"
presents.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/