[pmwiki-users] Disjointed Display

Wade Hudson whudson at igc.org
Fri Feb 11 17:16:36 CST 2005

When we try Hans' suggestion (with a minor variation), it looks great in
firefox, but in IE it puts a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the
screen and the right-side window stretches off out of sight, at any
resolution.

Hans suggested that we try:

       #right{ float:right;
        }
        body#right{ /* IE hack to avoid floating */
                     width:75%;
                     }

   You could replace the float with an absolute positioning.
   Replace the above with:

       #right{ position:absolute;
               top:0;
               left:26%; }

   ***

   Replace the above with:

       #right{ position:absolute;
               top:0;
               left:26%; }

   this is a little better to give a top margin:

   #right{ position:absolute;
           top:1em;
           left:26%;
           }

   ***

   And if you are changing the #right to position:absolute;
   you may as well replace both the left and right style definitions
   with:

   #left{  float:left;
           width:14em;
        }
   #right{ position:absolute;
           top:1em;
           left:15em;
        }

   This defines the sidebar width in proportional em units rather than
   percentage of the window. It will have a better result when the
   browser window is made smaller.

+++++

The minor variation is that we changed:

#left{  float:left;
          width:14em;

to:

#left{  float:left;
          width:15em;

Any additional suggestions?
We still receive reports of a disjointed display.