handling deleted pages (was:Re: [pmwiki-users] EmacsPmWikiMode?? Another Newb question...:))

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Mon Feb 14 18:41:26 CST 2005

At 2005-02-13  11:18 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>Note that RecentChanges and AllRecentChanges are
>not created using (:pagelist:).  They're just
>wiki pages (like any other page) that are updated
>whenever a page is changed.  So, when a page is
>deleted, the links that exist on RecentChanges
>become links to non-existent pages.  (This is as it
>should be, so that people can see that pages have
>been deleted and review things accordingly.)

Would it not make more sense if the record inserted into RecentChanges for
a deleted page simply named the page, but did not make it a link?

Consider that clicking on the link on the current mode does not take you to
the deleted page, it takes you to a new page with the same name. I can't
imagine wanting to create a new blank page, but I can imagine trying to
restore the deleted page. The only way to do that (now) is for an admin to
rename the deleted file.

With a non-linked page name on RecentChanges, users can see that the page
was changed and some might even conclude that it was deleted since there is
no link to it.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/