[pmwiki-users] CSS question related to FGS

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 15:04:18 CST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:47:29 -0600, John Feezell
<JohnFeezell at 3wplace.com> wrote:
> Is there a better way to structure the <div>s?

As Knut pointed out, you should definitely use classes or ids to build
in your style hooks.  It will be more flexible, and lighter page
weight, because the styles can be stored in an external stylesheet,
which the reader's browser caches for reuse..

> Should I be using <p>s instead?

You should only use a p tag if the text inside is genuinely a
paragraph.  That's what they mean by clean, semantic markup.

> How do <div>s and <p>s compare?  One 'better' than the other?

A div is a generic block element -- it doesn't have any built-in
presentation or semantic meaning.  It is a better choice if you're
grouping content for layout purposes.

> If I wanted to place two divs side-by-side horizontally would that
> require a table structure?

Not necessarily, but depending on what browsers you're trying to
support and how complicated a layout you're aiming for you might want
to.

I suggest you do some googling about how to do forms using CSS,
because there are some tags and techniques out there to make your life
easier, like the fieldset and label tags.  Unfortunately I can't dig
them out for you; I have to go back to my yak shaving.

Bronwyn