[pmwiki-users] Note to skin designers

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Feb 19 08:34:01 CST 2005

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 08:50:03AM +0000, Hans wrote:

> Will this change have any bearing on defining markups for the
> suppression of template sections, like Markup('noleft',...) ?

The previous definitions will (should) continue to work, although
they can now be rewritten as:

    Markup('noheader', 'directives',
      '/\\(:noheader:\\)/e', "SetTmplDisplay('PageHeaderFmt', 0)");
    Markup('noleft', 'directives',
      '/\\(:noleft:\\)/e', "SetTmplDisplay('PageLeftFmt', 0)");
    # etc.

> Is there a good way to define actions for the suppression of template
> sections, for instance action=noleft ?

Well, I wouldn't use ?action, since it really means something else.
You could define a ?noleft parameter:

    if ($_REQUEST['noleft']) SetTmplDisplay('PageLeftFmt', 0);

and then use URLs like

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/TmplDisplay?noleft=1
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/TmplDisplay?notitle=1
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/test/TmplDisplay?noheader=1
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/test/TmplDisplay?noheader=1&noleft=1

> And lastly a question to all skin designers:
> Would a recommended name for a template section containing the top
> action links ('wikicmds' in pmwiki.tmpl) be <!--PageCommandsFmt-->?
> I have used <!--PageActionFmt--> for this so far, but I would be happy
> to follow a convention, so any custom markup using this can be more
> generally employed by other skins as well.

I like <!--PageCommandsFmt--> (or <!--PageCmdsFmt-->, analogous to
'wikicmds') because someone might think that PageActionFmt is
programmatically related to ?action in the code somewhere.  But I
don't have a strong feeling about this, and will use whatever
convention we come up with.