[pmwiki-users] Proposed change to password memorization

Russ Fink russfink at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 24 12:03:54 CST 2005

>>On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:26:55AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
>>

>>>This sounds like an excellent solution to me. What would make it an
>>>outstanding solution is if the attributes page displayed the state of the
>>>various passwords (set or clear). Trying to figure out where the password
>>>is set (default, group, or page) is voodoo right now.
>>>

>>I'll see if I can incorporate that as well.  It gets more complex
>>when I try to figure this out with user-authentication also.
>>
>Both the original and this addition are excellent.  It would eliminate a
>long standing annoyance and significantly enhance password management.

Ditto on the current sentiments - I agree with the feature.

What I would like is the ability to get an index of all my site's pages and
see at-a-glance which ones were protected by passwords and which ones
weren't.

One option is to change the wiki link color for password-protected pages to
distinguish them from unprotected pages.  Currently, I use
%red%MyPrivateStuff%% to indicate that a page is password protected, but
then I have to make edits of that nature any time I add a password to a
previously-unprotected page.

Doing wiki link recoloring automatically would be cool - maybe a
configuration variable in config.php that would control this - specifically,
enable different colors for each type of password-protection (blue for
normal, red for read-password protected orange for edit-password protected,
something else for attr password).  That way, an admin could decide whether
he/she is interested in this or not.