[pmwiki-users] Excel and CSV copy/paste into pmwiki?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Feb 24 23:19:41 CST 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:06:16AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2005-02-24  11:03 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >If all works as planned, then the Excel data you pasted should
> >appear as a PmWiki simple table, ready for editing.  You're also
> >in page preview mode, so the preview of the table appears beneath
> >the edit form.
> >
> >Would something like that be useful/usable for you?
>
> I tried it and it would be useful for me! The only complaint I have is the
> automatic left-alignment of all the cells. In my case they were mostly
> numbers that should be right aligned, but there is no easy way to make that
> global change.

Good point.  Unfortunately the text that is pasted from Excel into the
page doesn't give us much useful information about how items were aligned in
the spreadsheet -- all we have to go on is the cell data itself.
(This would be true for CSV files as well.)

Perhaps the converter should automatically right-align numeric values?
If so, what do we do for columns that have a mixture of numeric and
non-numeric values?  Do we live with the mixed alignment?  Or is there
some sort of useful heuristic that we can use to tell the algorithm
what to do...?