[pmwiki-users] Anyone interested in helping test FGS?

John Feezell JohnFeezell at 3wplace.com
Sun Feb 27 08:26:07 CST 2005

Knut Alboldt wrote:

> Hi John !
>
> John Feezell schrieb:
>
>> I'll be releasing the Revised Form Guide System (FGS) in the next
>> couple of days.  I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to do a
>> 'clean' installation and give me feedback on any problems and the
>> instructions for setting it up.
>

> I'll do. Just tell me when the release is out. I'm setting up a pmwiki
> beta23 this weekend as a farm, one field for plain vanilla pmwiki, one
> for pmwiki with original cookbook-addons. In that environment I can
> test FGS.
>
> The last days I was a bit confused about the form-modules available
> for pmwiki, so there obviously seems to be two: your's (FGS) and that
> from John Rankin (wikiform) (both from "a" John, maybe that was my
> confusion  :-)
> My question: what are the differences ? And what is the main reason to
> have two different add-on's ?
>
> (Anyway I'll start to test both add-ons)
>
> Knut

Knut, thanks for you willingness to help.  The features of FGS are
stilling changing so it will require you to replace the FGS code on your
setup as I complete work on the modifications.  The code that makes FGS
'work' is all in one file so this will mean that you just replace the
old FGS php file with a new one.

As to the differences between wikiforms and FGS, well there are many.
They represent two approaches to using forms with PmWiki.  Perhaps you
can help identify and document the difference since I understand from
your prior post that you will be installing both.  Your observations
both of them would undoubtedly be helpful to others.

Since the revised FGS uses CSS to style the form, could you give me a
little bit about your knowledge of CSS.

The steps I'd like to follow in preparing for the 'official' release of
FGS are:
* you and perhaps one or two others install FGS and give me feedback
about the process.
* those in the test group define a first form on their installation -
again with more feedback, questions, etc.
* I incorporate the test groups comments into the documentation for FGS
* beta release of FGS is posted to PmWiki in the cookbook.

If you're interested in getting a pre-pre-release of FGS working you can
look over my shoulder  at  <http://cbfa-cos.org/xwiki/Forms/HomePage>.
If you'd like to experiment with your own form at this site, just open a
new page and design your own using the other (Design - ) pages as
models.  Please remember that is a very unstable site.  If you would
like you can leave me comments at the site.  I think you'll see how that
works when you visit the site.

Well, again thanks for you interest.

/JF