[pmwiki-users] A few wishes for PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 28 10:00:08 CST 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 04:36:37PM +0100, Barthelemy, Christian wrote:
> This wiki engine is very powerful and extremely open to enhancements as I
> can see from the list in the cookbook page.
>
> - A simple User Management system based on ACLs: the best I have seen so far
> is the one from wikka: http://wikka.jsnx.com/ACLInfo.

I'll take a look at it.

> - LDAP / Active Directory authentication, mandatory when used in companies
> to get user adoption and provide single sign on with the otjer corporate
> solutions.

PmWiki allows custom authentication code to be easily built -- many
have created authentication systems based on .htaccess and LDAP.
I'll even write the code for the LDAP module if someone gives me
sufficient specs.  (I already know all about LDAP having implemented
several directories and single-sign-on systems using OpenLDAP--I
just need to know how a wiki site admin would like to see the
module structured.)

> - Geshi support when used to collaborate on development coding.
> - Export pages to PDF.

John Rankin has already designed and built a PmWiki-to-PDF translation
system, I'll let him chime in with more details about the status of this
project.

> Anyone with some experience on how it scale? Any live installation with
> 10000 more pages?

The TAMU-CC Wiki (http://www.tamucc.edu/wiki) currently has over
81,000 pages and is used daily for student writing assignments and
cross-collaboration.  A companion wiki used by the First Year Writing
Program (http://firstyear.tamucc.edu) has over 25,000 pages.  Both
are running on the same server (indeed, from the same account).