[Pmwiki-users] Heading Button and Semantic Structure / Accessibility

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Tue Jan 11 10:46:32 CST 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:06:21PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2005-01-11  09:14 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >> The oversized, bold "A" on the heading button suggests that the button
> >> has something to do with fonts.  (Admittedly I can't immediately think
> >> of a better multi-lingual graphical representation of a heading.)
> >
> >Join the club (which includes me).  Everyone I've shared the button bar
> >with has said that the oversized "A" doesn't indicate heading, and they've
> >also said they can't come up with anything better.  Believe me, as soon
> >as we come up with a better image (multi-lingual or not) I'll change it.
>
> I must agree that the giant A is completely non-intuitive as a level 3
> heading icon.
>
> What about the obvious "h1", "h2", and "h3"? Even non- HTMLers are familiar
> with "heading level 1" from packages like Word. Not sure how well this
> translates though.

Probably not well. I think that something a little more graphical
*might* work. For instance, an icon that's largely similar to the one
typically used for left-justified text but with a larger, bold line at
the top could make for a good "heading" (h1) icon.

If I were making text versions of these buttons (which would be a good
thing to do IMHO), the text for this button would probably say "heading"
but there would also be others for "section" and "subsection" that
correspond to h2, and h3 respectively.

Maybe if we had an icon that looked like an outline (that's a lot to
ask for an icon though) with the various "heading" lines bold relative
to the rest of the lines in the icon. (i.e., the top line would be bold
on the h1 button icon, the first section line would be bold on the h2
button icon, etc.)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff