skins for mobile devices (was: Re: [Pmwiki-users] Modular configurable skin)

Neil Herber nospam
Sun Jan 16 12:26:48 CST 2005

At 2005-01-16  11:02 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>My experience has been that the best way to support mobile devices in
>PmWiki is to simply use a different skin altogether (PmWiki makes it easy
>to do this), rather than try to come up with a single skin that can handle
>them all.  Two simple layouts is probably easier to understand and maintain
>than a single ultra-complex one with lots of dependencies.

It would be great if there was a cookbook page that described how to
implement skin switching for those of us who are CSS-challenged (like me).

Ideally, I would like to be able to have a simple HTML start page that
would have two (or more) links: one which would invoke a standard PmWiki
browser-friendly skin, while the other would invoke a mobile-device
friendly skin.

If the standard PmWiki distro included the standard skin, the print skin,
and a "mobile" skin, then new admins could test the functionality without
having to do any skin downloading or config file tweaking. These are easy
enough tasks, but if I have just started using PmWiki I already have a lot
of things to think about (directory permissions, PHP compatibility, etc.)
and this seems to me like a light-weight enhancement that doesn't violate
any of the PmWiki principles.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/