[Pmwiki-users] how can I display the current skin name?

Neil Herber nospam
Tue Jan 18 10:55:46 CST 2005

At 2005-01-18  09:50 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>At any rate, this bug/misfeature affects the handling of the $Skin
>variable in scripts/skins.php, so I've changed it up slightly for
>the next release.  In the meantime, you can just copy the skins.php
>file (attached to this message) into your scripts directory and
>then the Markup line I gave earlier will work.

Ahh! That's better. But I now have a new problem. My markup is:

[[http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/{$Skin}Skin | {$Skin} Skin]]

... which now displays the correct name and creates a lovely link to a
non-existent page.

I presume the PmWiki.org server is case-sensitive, because a link to
"phpnetSkin" does not find "PhpNetSkin". Because I am switching skins
frequently, I want to have an automatic link to the skin description - plus
it is an easy way to give credit to the skin author.

I would suggest several solutions to this:

1) In my local pub/ directory, change the skin directory and file names to
match the case of the PmWiki documentation pages. (My server is case-agnostic).

2) Request that skin authors name skin directories and files to match the docs.

3) Include a $SkinDocsName variable (suggested name only) in a skin that
uses the case of the docs. Then I could link to that.

4) Store the skin docs locally (not ideal, since they get updated and have
comments appended.)

5) Create a local page with the skin name and a redirect to the PmWiki docs
- except I can't get redirect to work on external links. (How can I do that
, by the way???)

Thoughts? Am I the only person who wants to do this? (If so, I will slink
away quietly and find a work around ...)

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668