[Pmwiki-users] Creating Groups

Ciaran ciaranj
Wed Jan 19 00:48:16 CST 2005

The pmwiki.org website does have resources that can explain this
concept properly, but I'll attempt to quickly help you out before the
Americans wake up, in case you're in a hurry :)

In Wiki's every page is given a name, this name is usually a
camel-case word, i.e TestPage  BadgerCoat EmailAddresses etc.  (Often
referred to as wiki-words).

Now ever wiki page *also* belongs in a 'group'.  This group is usually
used for 'grouping' pages hence the name group.  So you may have a
'Books' group and pages inside such as 'TheBible' 'CollinsDictionary'
'FuzzyThinking' etc.

To specify a *specific* page within the wiki you have to provide both
the Group it belongs to and the Page you want to provide a link to.
There are two formats for this:
"GroupName.PageName" or "GroupName/PageName".  So for example
"Books/TheBible" would refer to the 'TheBible' page within the Books
group.

The only difference is in how they are rendered on the html output but
they both behave the same semantically allowing you to refer to a
unique page.

*HOWEVER* You can also refer to a WikiPage by just entering its
PageName without explicitly stating the group it belongs to.  If you
do this the system (by default, although it is configurable) will
apply a set of 'guesses' to determine which page you might actually
mean, effectively in the case where PageName != GroupName ,  PmWiki
decides that if you put a PageName in the page, what you really mean
is 'CurrentGroupName/PageName'

Now to put this in context, when you removed the 'Main' from the
Main/SideBar page links if I understand the system correctly (which
its quite possible I don't!) The system will attempt to find the
specified pages in whatever group the currently selected page belongs
to.  So if you're browsing the 'FuzzyThinking' page the sidebar links
will be attempting to locate pages such as 'Books/WikiSandbox' etc.
which obviously don't work, in general unless you're trying to do
something which is different per group you should explicitly define
both the group + page name for all wikilinks within the sidebar imho
;)

I hope this a) helps and is b) correct, if it isn't I'm sure I'll be corrected.
Good luck!
 -ciaran

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:07:17 -0800, Wade Hudson <whudson at igc.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to this group and to wikis in general. I hope that someone can
> help a novice such as myself.
>
> Our site is at:
> http://progressiveresourcecatalog.org
>
> I don't fully understand how Groups work. As I posted to the Sand Box:
>
> ++++
> When I edited the sidebar and deleted "Main/" from everything but the
> Admin (group which includes the Sandbox),
>
> and added to the Sand Box [[SelectHealth/ServiceOrganizations | Select
> Catalog: Health -- Service Organizations]] and
> [[OpenHealth/ServiceOrganizations | Open Catalog: Health -- Service
> Organizations]]
>
> and saved those entries and clicked on the links, a question mark popped
> up next to links in the sidebar.
>
> So I add "Main/" only in the sidebar.
> It seems to work ok now.
>
> But I'm not sure that I've created my groups properly.
> ++++
>
> Why do those question marks pop up when I delete "Main/" from the
> Sidebar?
> Do I have to include "Main/" at the front of each of those URLs in the
> Sidebar?
> Should I include "Main/" in my page names elsewhere, like on:
> http://progressiveresourcecatalog.org/index.php/Main/SelectHealth?action
> =edit
> Have I created my groups properly?
>
> Thanks much for any assistance you can provide.
>
> Sincerely,
> Wade Hudson
>
> --

- Ciaran